Website United Family Medicine
United Family Medicine is a Federally-Qualified Health Center in St. Paul, where patients receive community-based Family Practice medical care in addition to mental health, dentistry, social work and other integrated services. When joining UFM, you become part of a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming team who are dedicated to serving our patients and pursuing our mission to deliver excellent healthcare for all and training for the providers of tomorrow.
United Family Medicine is seeking a full-time Psychiatric Nurse (RN) to support the Behavioral Health Department by providing professional nursing care to emotionally disturbed and/or mentally ill patients. RN works directly with the psychiatric provider with the ongoing support of patients. This support includes management of prescribed medications and compliance support issues. This position works with clinical and case management staff to coordinate care and assist in treatment plans for clients.
- Conduct intake assessments through interviews with patients and relatives to gather case history.
- Plan and provide nursing care for patients.
- Make nursing diagnosis of patient’s emotional status and recommends treatment options. Assessment of further medical evaluation needs, medical triage consults, as needed.
- Consult with psychiatrists and other behavioral health staff in designing appropriate treatment plans for clients.
- Process scheduling documents for psychiatric appointments weekly, including PMP requirements as designated by psychiatric provider.
- Process all prior authorization requests pertaining to psychiatric medication orders.
- Assist patient with obtaining medications, advising of low cost options whenever necessary.
- Routing of all medication orders to PCP, when necessary, in absence of psychiatric provider.
- Processing of all medication orders, prior to routing to psychiatric provider.
- Administers injectable psychiatric medications and notes reactions to psychotropic drugs given plus coordination of IM schedules, required follow-up care and ongoing pharmacy communication pertaining to orders, as written by psychiatric provider.
- On-going medication education.
- Arranges further medical attention when necessary.
- Assists the client in understanding the nature of emotional disturbances and accepting the need for treatment.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff and patients.
- Assist with patient crisis calls and situations in the clinic as part of Behavioral Emergency Response Team.
- Documents all patient information on medical charts and follows physician’s written orders.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains accurate records and documentation of patient laboratory results according to standard medical recordkeeping. Timely notification of abnormal results routed to prescribing provider.
- Performs administrative assignments such as answering phones, charting, and completing progress notes in the computer system.
- Provides courteous, high-quality service to patients and members of the public by personally responding to requests for service or making appropriate referrals.
Performs other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of professional nursing principles, procedures, and techniques used in the care and treatment of psychiatric patients.
- Knowledge social, psychological, and physical factors of mental and emotional disorders.
- Knowledge of medical and psychological terminology.
- Knowledge of medications, including psychotropic drugs, and their effects on psychiatric patients.
- Knowledge of control, preparation and administration of medications.
- Knowledge of regulations pertaining to psychiatric nursing and the treatment of mentally and emotionally disturbed patients.
- Knowledge of theories, principles, and techniques of group and individual psychotherapy.
- Knowledge of symptoms and behavior patterns of emotionally disturbed mentally ill patients.
- Knowledge of medical and psychiatric emergency procedures.
- Ability to apply professional nursing care principles and procedures in the evaluation and treatment of psychiatric patients.
- Ability to develop interpersonal therapeutic relationships with psychiatric patients.
- Ability to keep accurate written charts and records of patient activities and progress.
- Ability to comply with laws, rules, regulations, protocols, and procedures.
- Ability to use professional judgment to ascertain and to apply appropriate intervention techniques with patients in crisis.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals and function calmly in situations, which require a high degree of sensitivity, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to provide prompt, efficient, and responsive service.
- Ability to perform the job in accordance with United Family Medicine’s Standards of Business Conduct, which includes compliance, ethics and integrity, confidentiality, protection of assets and avoidance of conflicts of interest and inappropriate business relationships.
- RN Degree with current MN licensure is required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred.
- A minimum of two years of psychiatric nursing experience is required.
- Experience providing triage and acuity assessment is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Minnesota RN License
- BLS certification
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
There are many benefits to joining our team but a few of the highlights include:
- Great culture and team atmosphere.
- Paid holidays.
- Generous PTO accrual with immediate access.
- 403 (b) retirement plan with the company match and 100% vested immediately.
- Benefits enrollment starts the first of the month after the hire date.
- Health insurance plan options and HSA plans with an employer contribution. Dental, vision, short-term disability, HSA, health care and dependent care FSA options.
UFM is an equal opportunity employer.
Beginning January 4, 2022, all job offers are conditioned on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine authorized for emergency use or FDA-approved. A person is only considered “fully vaccinated” two weeks after receiving a single J&J vaccine or a second Pfizer or Moderna vaccine shot.
In addition, job offers made during flu season are conditioned on the candidate receiving the annual flu vaccination before their start date.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $33.00 – $46.50 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
All UFM employees must be vaccinated.
- Associate (Required)
- psychiatric nursing: 2 years (Required)
- providing triage and acuity assessment: 1 year (Preferred)
- ambulatory care: 1 year (Preferred)
- BLS Certification (Required)
- MN RN License (Required)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.